Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Maisie @ 2 weeks old

I cannot believe Maisie is already 2 whole weeks old.  She has shown us all kinds of sides to her, so needless to say, we're still trying to figure her out.  Up until day 11, she was an absolute angel...she ate well and often, slept well and often and really since day one sleeps through the night with a couple of easy feedings and goes back to sleep.  In some cases, I've had to wake her up just to make sure she was okay and would feed.  She has primarily slept in our bed because it's just easiest with feedings, but since she sleeps so well, we have started the night with her in the crib.  She just seems to sleep better and longer when she's right next to me, so that has become more of the norm.  For probably the first week, Brock would not sleep in the bed because he was too afraid he'd crush her.  We've figured things out though so we can all share the bed.  But that means Brody HAS to sleep downstairs and not with us now.  He's been great about it and now just crawls into our bed in the morning to watch TV as Brock and Maddi are getting ready for the day.

Starting this past Saturday night, Maisie has shown us more of her fussy side.  She has been fussy every night since then and every morning since then.  This doesn't work for me, especially with having two other kiddos, so I have had to give into the Bjorn (thank you for this lovely Christmas present, Maureen!).  I never needed one with either of the other two kids, so this is new, but is doing the trick.  The majority of the rest of the day, she is quite peachy...sleeps alot and eats alot and travels fairly well in the car.  

Traveling well in the car is a necessary skill for Maisie, as we pick Maddi up every afternoon from school and have to get her to violin lesson, soccer practice, ballet class, and soccer games each week.  We do get to stay home in the mornings, which has been very nice especially with Maisie not letting me get anything done.  Brock and I decided to put Maddi back in YCare for the mornings so that he can drop her off on his way into work.  What a huge help!  

I took her into her 2 week well visit and apparently we have a little beast on our hands.  She has a large head (90th percentile), is 21.75 inches long (95th percentile), and is 9 pounds, 5 ounces (90th percentile).  I've had nice, healthy sized babies, but I'm pretty sure Maisie takes the cake.  The doctor was quite amazed at her growth so far.  They won't see her again until 2 months, so I will be curious to see where she falls at that time.  Until then, Dr. Huang said to continue doing whatever we're doing and to start her on some tummy time!

Despite her little sessions in the am and pm, we couldn't be happier with her.  She is such a doll and sweet as can be.  Most days I can't believe I am lucky enough to be a Mommy, let alone to three sweet souls.  While I can wait (as I try to treasure as much of my time with Maisie as possible), I do look forward to watching how she grows and to see if she will grow to look and be like her big sister.  

I am also amazed at how well Maddi and Brody have adjusted to having a baby sister in their lives.  I am not so surprised by Maddi...she really takes the big sister role seriously and is an amazing help in holding her, burping her, keeping her happy in the backseat of the car, and just loving her.  What I'm most surprised about is how well Brody has adjusted, especially since he has been such a Momma's Boy, especially since I've been home with him these last 9 months.  He has shown not a single sign of jealousy, although he still does check in with us to make sure we will still hold him and love him (this breaks our hearts when he asks, but he is a happy camper when we reply, "of course...always!").  He showers Maisie with lots of "I Love You's", kisses, hugs, and snuggles.  When I ask him if he wants to keep her, he emphatically says, "YES! she is my baby sister and I love her!"  He also is very protective of her.  When people we don't know at all, or very well come to talk to her or look at her or want to touch her, he stands in front of her and puts his arms straight out and says, "you can't see her/touch her...she's MY baby sister".

Happy TWO WEEKS Maisie Girl...clearly we all love you very much and have already forgotten what life was like before you joined us.  You just make life a little sweeter.


WELCOME our MAISIE



1 WEEK



2 WEEKS


Think she likes to be put down??



love these faces


trying out some tummy time...
with some support from Brody

2 comments:

Jamie and Ben said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations! Why does this make me want another?
Looks like your adjusting to being a mama of three well. And how cute do your other two look with her! How nice to have such helpers. Congrats again!

Maureen said...

The pic of the three of them is priceless. :) Happy three weeks, Maisie!