To celebrate this year, we decided we needed a little getaway without the kids...something that does not happen near enough. Brock surprised me by planning a couple days up at Sun Mountain Lodge in Winthrop, WA. I had actually never heard of it, so I didn't know what to think, but it was one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. The rivers leading up to Winthrop were the most beautiful I've seen. It was about a 5.5 hour drive, but it was so gorgeous that neither of us minded. If you've never been, we highly recommend it. Not only was the lodge absolutely gorgeous, but the town of Winthrop was so cute! It seriously looked like an old Western town...you were just waiting for the showdown to happen in the middle of the town.
We got there early Saturday afternoon, checked in and went for a hike right away. That was what I really wanted to do, which is why Brock thought of Sun Mountain. The weather was pretty warm, but not too hot, which made the hike tolerable. We had a great time and both agreed we need to do that more often (without having to drive 5.5 hours to do it!) We came back and had drinks and an appetizer at the Lodge's bar and grill. We decided to check Winthrop out, so we cleaned up and headed into town and ate at their local Mexican restaurant. It had the most unique menu I've seen as far as Mexican restaurants go, but it was delicious. Our table overlooked the town of Winthrop, which was great. We were pretty tuckered after the drive, heat, and hike, so we really called it a night not too long after we got back. The next morning we woke up and walked around the Lodge a little, checked out their gift shop and pools and debated whether or not to go on a different hike, but in the end decided it was going to be the last hot day for a while back home, so we headed out to take the kids and my parents out on the lake. On our way back home we of course stopped at a couple of fruit stands...you can't drive through Washington and not come back home with some fresh fruit. We ended up coming back with a TON of cherries and some apricots.
Even though we didn't stay as long as we were initially planning, it was just nice to get away together and remember what's it's like to be a couple and not just a mom and dad.
We definitely would love to come again and bring the kids...there is so much that Maddi would love to do up there!
1 comment:
Oh, your pictures make me miss Washington so much! The flat concrete land of Chicago gets a little old to look at. Hey, I come home a week from today and will be there for 3-ish weeks. I'd love to meet up with you guys and Maureen and meet Maeve =)
Post a Comment